8 January 2008

John Connor

My second book for 2008. This time I listened rather than read.
I enjoy well read unabridged mysteries and thrillers on CDs. They usually take me some time to get through because I only listen as I am driving to and from work, about 20 minutes each way. But I decided this 10 CD set, 12 hours of it, was taking too long. I began it before Christmas. So tonight I listened to the final 2 hours through my computer's CD player.

This one was PHOENIX by John Connor, the first in Karen Sharpe series.

When her boss and a female informant are found murdered on the moors in the Pennines, Detective Constable Karen Sharpe realises she should be dead too. But for an anniversary she was observing at home alone, she would have been with them. The deaths have all the hallmarks of a drugs killing but Karen is pretty sure that there is more to it than that. What were they doing out on the moors? Last time she had seen them they were drinking in a hotel.
Detective Chief Superintendent Munro realises he needs Karen on his investigation team despite her close connections to the case. But he doesn't know what to make of her and she is difficult to control, not a team member at all.
And in her past Karen has a dark secret, something that surfaces annually, for Karen Sharpe is not who she seems. Half way through this story, just when you think all the riddles have been solved, you realise that you are only half way there. Murder investigation becomes strong, rapidly moving thriller. What Karen Sharpe did eight years before comes as a series of staggering surprises. Strongly read by Maggie Mash.

I was surprised to find out that this is the beginning of a series. I didn't expect to meet Karen Sharpe again. So I'll read another and Maggie Mash's voice will stay with me for a while yet.
1. PHOENIX (2003)
2. PLAYROOM (2004)
3. A CHILD'S GAME (2006)
4. FALLING (2007)

Once again, this won't survive to be on my best reads for 2008 but it will stay in my top 10 for a couple of months. The rate I am going, I'll be lucky to read 10 books in 2 months. :-)

4 comments:

Karen (Euro Crime) said...

I agree that Maggie Mash was excellent. I also enjoyed her reading of At Risk by Stella Rimington.

Kerrie said...

I thought she did amazing things with her voice Karen. I'll certainly be watching out for her in future

Anonymous said...

Glad you liked it, Kerrie. I was surprised that there was to be more Karen Sharpe too, but pleased (at the time, at least) - the big surprise for me though was that she ended up with the responsibilities she did at the end (without giving too much away) and which then had to be carried on into the next four books in the series. Wasn't planned like that at all. I agree Maggie has done a wonderful job, with various accents and so on. Liked it. SKY have recently bought the rights, by the way, and are developing it. Fingers crossed, for me. Karen would look good on TV, I think. Maybe better than in print, even.

Cheers,

John Connor

Kerrie said...

Thanks for dropping by John. You have reminded me how much I enjoyed Phoenix. I'll look for the next

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin