31 December 2008

Farewelling 2008

Ring out the old year
Ring out, wild bells, to the wild sky,
The flying cloud, the frosty light;
The year is dying in the night;
Ring out, wild bells, and let him die.
Alfred, Lord Tennyson
It probably won't be frosty here, but I like the idea of ushering the old year out.













Most of us these days reflect on the year that has passed, what we did well, and what we could do better, and perhaps what we shouldn't have done.

Last year's New Years Eve resolution saw the creation of this blog, which it has given me great pleasure to write. This will be post 456, and that's probably way too many. I aimed for one a day though. It has given me a great venue to talk about books. I've instituted a variety of counters and one of them tells me I've had nearly 25,000 visitors this year.

I also resolved to visit the blogs of others more, and, instead of lurking, as many do when they come to this blog, to leave some trace of my visit through a comment. I don't always do that. (I can't always think of something to say.) But I'm enjoying the sense of a blogging community that has come. I created Crime Fiction Journeys to help others participate in that community.

As always I have kept records of the books that I read. According to my records I have read 110 books, possibly 111 if I manage to finish the one I am reading now. I have been keeping records since 1975, and have 2760 books listed. I am impressed with the granularity of Cathy's records, but I won't analyse mine as much as that this year. But like Cathy I have found that most of the books that I tackle are worth reading, probably because all the blogs I read and discussion lists I belong to help me choose more wisely.
My reviews are listed on Smik's Reviews and show the ratings I gave.

I've participated for most of this year in the Sunday Salon, in Friday's Forgotten Books, in What's On Your Nightstand, posted my reviews on Library Thing, some on Reviewer's Choice, Australian ones on Australian Crime Fiction, and created my own Agatha Christie Reading Challenge. I've also been part of the Carnival of Criminal Minds and tomorrow will host the first for 2009.

Have you given me your top 10 crime fiction reads for 2008 yet? If not, you have until January 4 when I try to do something with the mammoth amount of information I'm getting. There should be some great reading lists coming out of it.

So enjoy what is left of 2008.
Ring out the old year and ring in the new with gusto.

But please, if you drink, don't drive!

1 comment:

Peter Rozovsky said...

Nice bells!

Happy New Year.
==============
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://www.detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin