30 August 2011

Crime Fiction on a Euro Pass: Denmark: Danish writers to look out for

Finding Danish crime fiction was not an easy task in this week's Crime Fiction on a Europass.

Denmark is after all a pretty small country with a small population.
But it is, after all, known for Hans Christian Anderson, Copenhagen, and the Little Mermaid.

2011 began well for Danish crime fiction writer Jussi Adler-Olssen when he won this year’s Golden Laurel (a prize awarded by the Danish booksellers) for his crime thriller “Journal 64″ (published late 2010 in Denmark), the fourth in the series featuring Inspector Carl Mørck and the Police Department Q.

For me THE KEEPER OF LOST CAUSES (aka MERCY) by  Adler-Olssen has been one of my notable reads for the year.
This is the first in the Monck series and I rated it at 4.8.


Another Danish writer to look out for, particularly if you enjoy flash fiction and comic cozy crime fiction, is Dorte Hummelshøj Jakobsen.
4.4, CANDIED CRIME
4.1, LIQUORICE TWISTS
4.2, THE COSY KNAVE
Dorte blogs at DJ's Krimiblog

Two years ago I attempted to read THE QUIET GIRL by notable Danish writer Peter Hoeg. I had really enjoyed his earlier book MISS SMILLA'S FEELING FOR SNOW but THE QUIET GIRL was a disappointment.

So sadly that is all I can tell you about Danish crime fiction, so I'm hoping to learn more from fellow participants in this week's Crime Fiction on a Euro Pass.











4 comments:

Maxine Clarke said...

I very much enjoyed the two translated books by Lief Davidson that I read - The Serbian Dane (a thriller) and The Woman from Bratislava (more political/historical).
Dinosaur Feather by Sissal-Jo Gazan is a readable academic mystery.
The Exception by Christian Jungerson is a chilling suspense novel set in a mostly all-female workplace.

none of the above is self-published.

All good reads! I liked Mercy (aka Keeper of Lost Causes) very much, too.

barbara fister said...

Though it won't be out until November from Soho, Lene Kaaberbol and Agnete Friis' The Boy in the Suitcase is terrific. Sara Blaedel has also just been translated - Call Me Princess is a police procedural. Other Danes whom I have not yet read include Mikkel Birkegaard (The Library of Shadows) and Elsebeth Egholm whose first English translation was published in Australia this year - Next of Kin

J F Norris said...

A bit late but my contribution is here: Scapegoat by Poul Orum. I also read The Library of Shadows, but Bev beat me to it so I went with my second choice. Always good to have a back-up!

Kerrie said...

Thanks John. Most seem to have found Denmark a bit challenging

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin